History of the suspension railway
The Fichtelberg suspension railway, a special landmark of the town of Kurort Oberwiesenthal, is the oldest cable suspension railway in Germany.
On December 22nd, 1924, after only 4 months of construction, the maiden voyage with 12 people took place.
the railway was completely overhauled. Three years later half a million passengers were carried.
intensive reconstruction; the new light metal cabins each offer space for 44 people and the driving time has been reduced to around 8 minutes.
Another general overhaul of the railway was carried out by Czech experts, a record number of 885.000 passengers per year made this necessary.
the largest general repair was carried out on the Fichtelberg suspension railway.
a major repair was necessary. The general overhaul of the cabins and relocation of the suspension cables were essential.
the reconstruction of the mountain station building took place. The wooden construction of the station was refurbished and the roof was recovered with durable titanium sheet.
an additional monitoring device was installed to the existing control.
major overhaul with cable distortion and cabin renovation
Due to the expiry of the operating permit, driving was stopped on April 1st, 2012. A general renovation was carried out between April 1st, 2012 and November 1st, 2012. The supports were given a new coat of paint, the control and all associated components were renewed in accordance with the required guidelines. The mountain and valley stations were converted. After the operating permit had been granted by the State Office for Road Construction and Transport in Dresden, driving operations began on November 2nd, 2012.
major spring revision with cable warping and cabin renovation